Monday, June 16, 2008

What's For Dinner??


Have you ever looked a menu in a restaurant and wondered what you’d get if you ordered a particular entree? That’s not a problem in Japan because all you have to do is glance at the restaurant’s window to find out.


Japan started the practice of making models of food back in the early 1900s. At first, the models were made of wax, but now they are made of plastic. Often, it’s hard to tell the difference between the models and the real thing.















The purpose of the replica food is to attract customers, advertise the menu and to let patrons know exactly what they’re ordering. It’s also great for Americans like me who can’t begin to read the Japanese on the menu. Yes, I’ll admit it. More than once, I’ve just pointed to the plastic model when I ordered, but I don’t think I’ll ever point to this one. I guess I have a thing about my dinner looking at me.


It’s not unusual to see customers on streets crowded with restaurants going from window to window trying to figure out which model looks best.



To make the models, a restaurant’s chef prepares the dish, and then the food is actually dipped in silicon. When the silicon dries, the food is popped free, leaving molds behind.

Plastic food is big business. Companies specialize in making the models, and food artists can train for up to two years to learn the craft.

Sometimes, restaurants just rely on nature to do the advertising. If you look closely,
you can see the fish swimming in the tank, fish, which by now, have probably already been eaten for dinner.







Japan also has it’s version of fast food. At some restaurants, the plastic models have numbers next to them.


Customers decide which entrée they want, put their money in a special vending machine and push the number, which spits out a ticket.

The customer then walks inside and hands the number to the cook. It’s that simple. On this particular night, I got No. 37, which was some sort of chicken teriyaki with a bowl of noodle soup. Good stuff! Yes, it looked exactly like the model.

I haven’t seen any posts in a couple of days. I hope you’ll keep reading my blog and join in.

5 comments:

Robert said...

How have you liked the food so far? Is Japanese food anything like what you would find in a Japanese restaurant in America? What is the "average" meal like?

Mark Dickinson said...

For thousands of years, rice and fish have been a staple of the Japanese diet, so you will often find rice and fish with every meal.

A traditional Japanese breakfast is some sort of fish, rice and miso soup.

You'll also frequently find fish, rice and other kinds of soup at lunch and dinner. For example, today at lunch I ate cooked fish, rice, pickles and chicken soup.

For dinner, the Japanese often eat sushi. The sushi seems very similar to what we eat in the United States, but as you might expect, it is extremely fresh here.

Also, for dinner, the Japanese like to eat big bowls of noodle soup with all kinds of meat and vegetables. I especially like the soup.

I have really enjoyed all of the food, but it has taken a little getting used to eating fish for breakfast.

Thanks for your post.

Heather Huston said...

Big fan of Salmon lax, which is more of a jewish tradition, but I think I'd be game...adventurous for sure.

Joanie said...

Does this mean you will eat sushi with me now? Or will you be sick of it by the time you get back? Is there any food you are going to miss when you leave? Is there any American (or Mexican) food you are especially missing while you are there?

Mark Dickinson said...

I'm enjoying all the food, but I sure am craving some pizza right now.