Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Final Reflections and a Final Thank You

My last three weeks in Japan have been a wonderful, memorable experience, but tomorrow I must return to the United States. Before leaving, I wanted to share a few final thoughts.


First, I have gained a true admiration for both the Japanese people and their culture. We have been treated with a great deal of kindness and respect wherever we went, either in our groups or alone. Like many Americans, I assumed the Japanese would be reserved and a bit aloof, but I found them to be warm and welcoming.


For me, the people have been the best part of Japan, but I am also extremely impressed by the culture.


As I’ve said before, the emphasis in Japan is on the community, not the individual. That leads to a climate where people look out for one another and where people are careful to not infringe on the rights of others or to disturb the social harmony. Also, it’s hard to not be impressed by a country where art and spirituality infuse all aspects of daily existence. Beauty and soulfulness are a way of life in Japan.


Finally, I have been impressed by the work ethic of the Japanese. I have never seen a place where people pay such close attention to detail. In an earlier post, I mentioned a study that found that the bullet train on average arrives within six seconds of the posted arrival times. Things just always seem to get done here and get done well.


Like any country, Japan has its share of challenges, but I come away with a lot of respect for what I saw and experienced.


As I pack my bags for tomorrow’s flight, I thought it would be a good time to thank several individuals.


First, and foremost, I’d like to thank the government of Japan. The government picked up the entire cost of the trip, and we were kept comfortable at every turn. I’m overwhelmed by the government’s generosity.


Second, I’d like to thank the Japan Fulbright Memorial Fund Teacher Program, which accepted me into this prestigious program. As many of you know, I love to travel, but the Japan Fulbright Memorial Fund Teacher Program gave me an immersion experience I could never have had on my own. I will be forever grateful.


Third, I’d like to thank my principal, Alan Long, who encouraged me and supported me throughout this experience. If it were not for him allowing me to bring some of the school’s computer equipment, this blog would not have been possible.


Finally, I’d like to thank all of you for reading my blog. Seeing your comments made the work all worthwhile.


It’s getting late, so I'll close with this. The other day, I read that only about 20% of people in the United States own a passport. That’s ashamed because there are such fascinating cultures out there waiting to be explored.


If you even have the slightest thought about traveling internationally, do it. It is such an enriching experience. I’ve been fortunate to have traveled to many countries, and I’ve never regretted a second, even during some of the difficult times when I found myself lost in the middle of nowhere with no way to communicate. Actually, those were some of the times I remember the most.


Japan is a great destination. If it’s not to your liking, go anywhere. Life’s too short to not enjoy an adventure every once in awhile.

1 comment:

Joanie said...

Call me when you get home and get over your jet lag. I have enjoyed your posts and have learned a lot. I agree that more Americans should travel overseas. Beyond learning about other cultures, I think getting out of what I call the "American bubble" makes us think more globally and not just about how events affect US. When you are ready to out to dinner, I will treat you to a nice pizza or some tacos. Fish tacos, of course. Ruthie says HI!