Sunday, June 22, 2008

Overnight Stay With a Japanese Family


It’s rare to get the opportunity to stay with a Japanese family. Typically, the Japanese don’t even have one another over for dinner, since they prefer to socialize out, but this weekend I was able to spend the night with the Kubo family.

Yuko, Hideaki and their three children, Keiichi, Haruna and Shingo, welcomed me into their home in Tama and treated me as if I was a member of the family.



After seeing Keiichi play soccer, we enjoyed some sushi – home style.





Next, I got to see Yuko and her daughter, Haruna, practice for an annual Shinto ceremony.


The ritual is held in autumn to thank the gods for a successful harvest.







I even had a chance to try the drums…



but I don’t think I’ll be quitting my day job.


I could not have asked for more kindness and better food. It was a real treat.


On a regular basis, the Kubo family hosts exchange students and other visitors from around the world. When I asked Yuko why, she said that she had experienced a lot of kindness traveling overseas and wanted to return the favor. Also, she said she wanted her children to experience as much about other cultures as possible. What a refreshing attitude.


On Sunday, I finished my visit by seeing some traditional Japanese dancing.


That’s it from Tama. Our next destination is to a traditional Japanese inn, which is called a ryokan. There’s no internet, so I’ll update you in a day or two.

4 comments:

Joanie said...

I'll bet the kids in the family LOVED having you stay with them. Did they give you some other inside tidbits about Japan that you might not have learned otherwise? Did they ask any interesting questions about you or the U.S?

Mark Dickinson said...

It was a great experience getting to stay with a family.

The director of our program said that the Japanese often portray a more reserved, serious, public persona and a more relaxed persona outside of work.

Everyone in the family I visited was so relaxed, gregarious and affectionate.

I had not seen these traits in public in Japan. Perhaps, we all act a little different in public than in private, but, in the home visit, I saw none of the stereotypical reservedness that I seen up until that point in Japan.

Anonymous said...

iThis is a great blog.. it looks like you you and family got along fantastically. I was wondering if the family spoke any english and whether or not there were any communication difficulties. I'll talk to you soon buddy.

Craig

Mark Dickinson said...

Thanks for your comment, Craig.

Actually, we didn't have any communication problems because the mother, Yuko, speaks very good English, and the rest of the family speaks a little, as well.

Some of the other teachers on our program did stay with families who spoke little or no English, so it was more difficult for them.

That's when a lot of gesturing and smiling come in handy.

I'm glad you enjoyed the blog.