Tuesday, June 10, 2008

ANSWER TO THE SOUTHEAST SUMMER RIDDLE

Yesterday, I asked the following math riddle: On Monday, we flew from San Francisco to Tokyo, which is a 10-hour flight, but we arrived 26 hours later, even though we had no delays, and it was a direct flight. How is that possible?


ANSWER: We crossed the International Date Line. The International Date Line (IDL) is an imaginary line in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. If you cross the date line heading west, you gain a day. If you travel east, you lose a day.

We left San Francisco at about 1:30 p.m. on Monday. The flight was 10 hours, so it seems like we would have arrived at 11:30 p.m. on Monday night. Instead, we arrived at about 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday.

Taking into account the date line, there is a 16-hour time difference between San Francisco and Tokyo, so, in some respects, I traveled forward in time.

I'll keep you posted, and I hope you keep reading my blog. I've enjoyed some of your comments.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bueno la verdad no le entidiendo a su pregunta y no encuentro la respuesta !!!!!!!
Pero se ve que estubo bonito su viaje e interesante
ojala que algun dia pueda ir !!!
Y si le gusto el viaje......

Mark Dickinson said...

Karla,

Thank you for your comment! I hope that you will get to go to Japan one day. It is a very interesting country.