Monday, June 23, 2008

Fish, Fish Everywhere


Fish is the heart of the Japanese diet. If it swims, you'll probably find it served on some Japanese table. This morning, I climbed out of bed early and visited the place where all that fish changes hands in Tokyo.


Tsukji is one of the largest fish markets in the world. Each day, more than 2,800 tons of marine products pass through here. About 450 kinds of fish are sold at the market.














The stars of the market are these guys - tuna.



Each morning, a tuna auction is held at 5 a.m.



The workers inspecting the fish are well paid to pick out the best tuna. That's crucial, because a large tuna can bring in thousands of dollars. In 2001, a record price of $173,600 was paid for a 444-lb bluefin tuna. It was sold in this very market.

You might wonder why all these tuna are frozen. The answer is that tuna swim in warm water and their body temperature is above the temperature of the water. After they are caught, the fish need to be cooled quickly to prevent histamines from building up, which would harm the taste and quality of the fish.

After cooling, the tuna are flash frozen and stay that way until they arrive at the market.


Most commercial tuna fishing boats are normally days from the nearest port, so the fish would spoil if it were not frozen.


After the auction, the tuna is cut up and redistributed. Much of the tuna will end up as sushi, a Japanese favorite.


I was amazed at the variety of fish in the market.













It's enough to make you want to grab an early lunch.


I've been enjoying your e-mails and posts. I hope you've been enjoying my blog.

7 comments:

Debby said...

Mark, this continues to be fascinating reading! And looking, since your pictures are great. Isn't digital technology the best??!! I have to say that my envy of you lessens each time you mention all the fish you eat, and especially all that you saw at the market! I am not a big fish fan, so I don't know if I could survive more than a few days there! Aren't there any good ole Peanut Butter Sandwiches?? :) I've seen a number of meat and other markets in other countries, but I imagine the variety of fish must be mindboggling. Enjoy your last few days, and I pray you will have a safe journey home. Don't leave too much of your heart behind in Japan!

Mark Dickinson said...

I'm not a huge fish eater either, but I have come to like it. That being said, last night I had some Indian food for dinner. Chicken curry was a nice change of pace.

Thanks so much for reading my blog and for posting. It's great knowing people are out there reading it.

Joanie said...

Might it be safe to assume that your first meal back in the states will NOT be fish?

Jacki said...

Hey Mark - Looks as if you are enjoying yourself over there across the pond! I'm jealous. I do believe I could see myself retiring in Ome City as well. Have you run into Joe Pierce? Don't have too much saki before the flight back - it might not be pretty! Enjoy your last few days and have a safe journey home.

Mark Dickinson said...

Jacki,

Thanks for your post. Yes, Ome would be a nice place to retire.

I didn't run into Joe, but he was a big help with some of the Japanese expressions he taught me before I came over here. I wish I knew how his trip went.

Have a good rest of the summer.

Collette said...

Welcome home, Mark!
I am sure you would prefer a few more days of fun. Hope the rest of your summer is as good as the first!
Collette

Mark Dickinson said...

Thanks! I am going to take a few days to catch up on my sleep. I hope you have a wonderful rest of the summer, as well.